#ILVINONONSIFERMA, wine stops, an hashtag that is a manifest
More than 350 winemakers have gathered to give voice to their priorities for the restart. "Industry stops, Nature doesn't."
This is their open letter.
"The economic consequences of the pandemic have overwhelmed our entire society, with the effects that are also putting our wine sector in crisis.
Many customers have been forced to close, but nature is not stopping: we, the guardians of the earth, have not stopped. We work for excellence, to enhance the culture and civilization of wine, to consolidate the reputation of Made in Italy in the world. Defending the integrity of the territories and the beauty of the landscapes, which make our country extraordinary, is our other mission, which makes us proud to be Italian. We are thus guardians of unique ecosystems, at a time when the fight against climate change is equally urgent.
We are aware of the difficulties that this pandemic has caused and the effects it will continue to have on all sectors for which wine is an irreplaceable resource. We appreciate the initiatives launched by the world of distribution aimed at stimulating dialogue between the various players in the supply chain and we are close to our distributors, agents, wine merchants and restaurateurs, sommeliers, catering services, innkeepers and mixers, and all those who love wine.
We feel an active part of the extraordinary community that lives on wine and our conviction is that we can only come out of this crisis if we remain united and if the work and role of everyone in every link in the supply chain is safeguarded.
For this reason we ask everyone to respect our work and offer the same respect in return, aware that only with loyal collaboration can we emerge from this crisis together.
- We will not accept commercial pressure to reduce the margin that is the source of livelihood for us and our companies, because we believe that only with the recognition of a fair compensation is guaranteed the dignity of our work and the work of those who collaborate with us in the production, marketing and promotion of our wines.
- We will not accept unfair practices such as the bill of sale and disproportionate requests for gifts, knowing that only by respecting normal commercial conditions can we contribute positively to the development of the supply chain.
- We ask all our customers to respect the deadlines for payment of supplies made up to 31/12/2019, at a time when the market was not yet presenting any critical issues related to the pandemic.
- We are willing to discuss forms of facilitated credit that take into account the economic difficulties that, with the long period of inactivity, all restaurants and wine bars will face when they reopen, while respecting the efforts and investments that we farms have never stopped facing.
- We are committed, in our choices of direct sales of our products to the final consumer, to operate with loyalty towards our distribution and horeca customers, which are fundamental for the promotion and enhancement of the wines produced by Italian winemakers.
- For this reason, we guarantee that our price lists dedicated to private individuals respect the normal marginality reserved to commercial operators.
- We are convinced that collaboration with all the players in the wine supply chain must be strengthened, aware that only open and organic dialogue can provide the best opportunities for growth and enhancement for this small, great world of ours".
- 10 billion euros are at risk, as is the value of Italian wine production, 6 billion euros of which from exports. We need to intervene now.
#laretedeivignaioli #ilvinononsiferma #lavignanonsiferma